talloc_tos()

David Disseldorp ddiss at samba.org
Fri Jun 15 16:18:41 UTC 2018

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 08:44:16 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > A convention of using talloc_tos() does not guarantee that we don't
> > leak memory. Just like long running async state contexts, talloc
> > stackframes can also be neglected. As mentioned in the other mail, my
> > preference would be to proceed with integration of valgrind memcheck,
> > massif and talloc_report into regular CI.
>
> I respect your opinion, but talloc_tos() was created to fix
> specific errors that commonly crept into the code whilst
> we were trying to do *precisely* what you're recommending :-).

FWIW, I do realise that my proposal of a core change like talloc_tos()
removal may come across as a little condescending. If that's the case,
I apologise to Volker and yourself.

> In short, been there - tried that, it's not possible with
> flawed humans to have the discipline needed to take care
> of the talloc contexts correctly. I remember debugging these
> problems, it was not fun.

Hopefully tools like Valgrind and AddressSanitizer have improved since
those days :)

> Does talloc_tos() fix all that ? No, flawed humans screw
> that up too. But I've used both mechanisms, and we have
> *much* less bugs with talloc_tos().
>
> tl;dr - talloc_tos() misuse crashes are much preferable to
> long-lived memory leaks by trying to always use the correct
> talloc context.

talloc_tos() misuse use-after-free bugs, as opposed to long-lived leaks,
have more serious security implications. I'm trying to avoid sounding
like a broken record, but I really do believe any benefits are
outweighed by the drawbacks, especially when going event based.

Cheers, David