Adds possibility to change another user password

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Jun 1 08:28:03 UTC 2018

On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 10:10:59 +0200
ein <ein.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/01/2018 09:43 AM, Rowland Penny via samba-technical wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 09:22:41 +0200
> > ein <ein.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> They did cripple end node domain enrollment in Windows 10 v1803.
> >> 1. No SMB1 client in v1709 installed by default.
> >> 2. Wrong computer browser service dependences in v1803, disabling
> >> smb2/3 breaks it.
> >>
> >> Those two are reversible.
> >
> > They very well may be, but it still doesn't change the fact that
> > Microsoft couldn't care less about NT4-style domains, they EOL'ed
> > NT4 over 10 years ago. Whether they break them by design or
> > accident, eventually they will break them permanently. Stop trying
> > to find workarounds and start planning upgrading to AD.
>
> It's already on it's way, boss. Renaming domain and domain
> workstation reenrollment take time. Thanks to you in some sense,
> because you did describe it here (the rename) quite well.
>
> > If I was the big boss and came to work one morning and the domain
> > didn't work, because Windows wouldn't work with the NT4-style domain
> > any more. I would be asking 'why not' and 'did we have any warning
> > of this'. I think you can see the outcome of that discussion.
>
> Maybe because Samba AD did never received working trust relationship
> with Samba NT domain?

There never really was any impetus to get them working, but there has
been quite some work done on AD trusts.

>Or maybe because migration process eats most of the LDAP tree data?

I personally wouldn't recommend the 'classicupgrade', mainly because
Samba used to allow such low IDs and it is probably easier to set up
a new AD domain. Having said that, the 'classicupgrade' shouldn't eat
data, can you elaborate on what data it eats ?

Rowland