cp -p fails to preserve time

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jul 31 21:04:55 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:39:07PM +0000, Rungta, Vandana wrote:
> Windows behaves the same way as Samba.  If mounted from a Linux client with vers=3.0 cp -p does NOT preserve time, if mounted with vers=1.0 cp -p preserves time.

Ah, then we're doing the right thing for SMB2, and the client
needs to change in order to preserve the time over SMB2.

Remember, "the right thing for SMB2" is defined as "what
Windows does". For SMB1 the client is using UNIX extensions,
which allow us to change the protocol semantics. We don't
do that for SMB2, so the client will have to adapt in order
to try and get the desired semantics.

Jeremy.