VFS Module Docs & Examples

Kory Draughn korydraughn.renci at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 16:52:19 UTC 2018

I've been using those links as well as the vfs_default.c as a reference,
but I feel I am still missing something.

The software I'm trying to make work with samba manages lots of files.  The
files managed by this software can only be accessed through the interface
provided.  Even if I know the physical location of the files, I'm not
allowed to access them that way.  I can only use the logical path.

Does samba expect a file to actually reside under the share?
Is the path with the share required?
Am I wrong in thinking that the files do NOT have to exist under the share
at all?

It appears that samba is trying to lookup the file on the local
filesystem.  After module_realpath() is called, I get a message saying:
  check_reduced_name: Bad access attempt: . is a symlink outside the share
path
This is understandable because the file does not exist locally.  Hopefully
that makes sense.

Thanks,