Quota patches

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Mon Jul 30 20:23:25 UTC 2018

Hi Jeremy

On 27/07/18 19:05, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 01:51:10PM +0100, Noel Power via samba-technical wrote:
[...]
> OK, here is a version I'm OK with.
>
> To be honest, I'd love to see the code split up into
> micro-patches with get/set done separately, but to
> quote one of my favorite James Bond villains "It's
> late, I'm tired, and there's so much left to do.." :-).
>
> Noel, if this works for you please push !

I think I am fine with all the changes with the exception of the code
that removes the max_data passed to fill quota_buffer. Providing
max_data is necessary for the correct operation for fill_quota_buffer.

To explain more the client requests (SMB1 & SMB2) both have a member
ReturnSingleEntry/ReturnSingle in the associated quota user query
messages. Both SMB1/SMB2 try to fill the response buffer with the
available quota entries if the value of ReturnSingleEntry/ReturnSingle
is zero. The client will keep sending the quota user query messages
until there are no more quota entries returned by the server (indicated
by STATUS_NO_MORE_ENTRIES (smb2) or an empty response (smb1)) The server
maintains state between calls and will continue the listing of quota
entries from the point where it exceeded buffersize.

With your current version where I hardcoded the a smaller
max_data_count  (note you'd get the same effect if you increased the
number of users that are returned when enumerating quotas)

-       if (blob.length > max_data_count) {
+       if (blob.length > 80) {
               return NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL;
        }

I can get smbcquotas (and a windows client) to not display any quota
info at all :-(

Now I have to admit that I also screwed up when implementing you
suggestion re.

    uint32_t dsize = sizeof(info.next_entry_offset)
            + sizeof(info.sid_length)
            + sizeof(info.change_time)
            + sizeof(info.quota_used)
            + sizeof(info.quota_threshold)
            + sizeof(info.quota_limit)

and associated checks and I lost the check I had previously that really
detected max_data was exceeded :-(

For purposes of demonstration I attach the following traces

[1] smbcquotas-with-samba-server-artificial-maxdata-limit.pcapng
[2] win2012-client-with-samba-server-artificial-maxdata-limit.pcapng
[3] win2012-client-with-samba-server-artificial-maxdata-limit-jra.pcapng
[4] smbcquotas-with-samba-server-artificial-maxdata-limit-jra.pcapng

traces 1 & 2 are with my patches (version 2) with the fixup to detect
max_data exceeded, traces 3 & 4 are with your changes. Both a windows
client and smbcquotas are used.

While you are correct some of the code doesn't supply max_data and is
passing 0, in these cases though it is just the client code doing this.
Specifically this is when the client code is filling out set quota
information (which uses the same fill_quota_buffer code) to push out a
singe query info entry. I don't believe it makes sense to force an
artificial buffer limit (but yes we can do it if necessary,  what size
to use though :/) when the client is pushing the set_query info into the
request, I don't think we test the size of other client messages. The
buffer limit in the server code though makes sense given the way it
needs to work (e.g. server tries to stuff buffer (with predefined size)
with as many *complete* query info entries as it can)

I've modified your patchset (see attached) I've left the patches with
the changes in line (see patches with title [SQUASHME]) and if you are
happy I will squash those into the preceeding commits.

thanks again for your patience,
Noel