WHATSNEW for your samba-tool schema patches please?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jul 24 09:56:24 UTC 2018

On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 10:01:40 +0100
Rowland Penny via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 20:42:15 +1200
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 09:06 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

> > > Nope, that's Australian as well, it doesn't make sense in
> > > English ;-)
> > >
> > > Could you be trying to say:
> > > "The schema can be modified by adding indexes which affect other
> > > directory behaviours, such as being preserved on object deletion"
> >
> > No, the indexes don't change the other behaviour.  There are
> > multiple flags that can be set, the list is in the --help.  Perhaps
> > you can help condense the below into a sentence for me?
> >
> > From samba-tool schema attribute modify --help
> >
> > This command overwrites the value of searchflags,
> > so be sure to view the current content before making changes.
> >
> > Example1:
> > samba-tool schema attribute modify uid
> > --searchflags="fATTINDEX,fPRESERVEONDELETE"
> >
> > This alters the uid attribute to be indexed and to be preserved when
> > converted to a tombstone.
> >
> > Important search flag values are:
> >
> > fATTINDEX: create an equality index for this attribute.
> > fPDNTATTINDEX: create a container index for this attribute (ie OU).
> > fANR: specify that this attribute is a member of the ambiguous name
> >      resolution set.
> > fPRESERVEONDELETE: indicate that the value of this attribute should
> > be preserved when the object is converted to a tombstone (deleted).
> > fCOPY: hint to clients that this attribute should be copied.
> > fTUPLEINDEX: create a tuple index for this attribute. This is used
> > in substring queries.
> > fSUBTREEATTINDEX: create a browsing index for this attribute. VLV
> > searches
> >       require this.
> > fCONFIDENTIAL: indicate that the attribute is confidental and
> > requires special access checks.
> > fNEVERVALUEAUDIT: indicate that changes to this value should NOT be
> > audited.
> > fRODCFILTEREDATTRIBUTE: indicate that this value should not be
> > replicated to
> >       RODCs.
> > fEXTENDEDLINKTRACKING: indicate to the DC to perform extra link
> > tracking.
> > fBASEONLY: indicate that this attribute should only be displayed
> > when the
> >        search scope of the query is SCOPE_BASE or a single object
> > result.
> > fPARTITIONSECRET: indicate that this attribute is a partition secret
> > and
> >        requires special access checks.
> >
> > The authoritative source of this information is the MS-ADTS.
> >

> Hmm, this will need some thought, it looks like whilst a modify is
> being carried out, you can change the searchflags and it this
> which affects what happens at a later date. I think the problem is you
> are trying to compress it all into one sentence.
>
> Rowland

OK, how about this:

"The schema can be modified by adding an index and then adding flags to
the index, or by adding flags to existing indexes. These flags will
affect other directory behaviours, such as being preserved on object
deletion. For further information, see 'samba-tool schema attribute
modify --help'."

Rowland