WHATSNEW for your samba-tool schema patches please?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 24 08:42:15 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-07-24 at 09:06 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 19:51:31 +1200
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2018-07-16 at 11:39 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba-technical
> > wrote:
> > > On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:30:02 +1000
> > > William Brown via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>

> > > What does 'Schema can be modified to added indexes and
> > > affect other directory behaviours.' mean ? It doesn't seem to be
> > > English, is it Australian ? ;-)
> >
> > Perhaps we can extend that to say "Schema can be modified to added
> > indexes and affect other directory behaviours such as to be preserved
> > on delete of the object."
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >

> Nope, that's Australian as well, it doesn't make sense in English ;-)
>
> Could you be trying to say:
> "The schema can be modified by adding indexes which affect other
> directory behaviours, such as being preserved on object deletion"

No, the indexes don't change the other behaviour.  There are multiple
flags that can be set, the list is in the --help.  Perhaps you can help
condense the below into a sentence for me?

>From samba-tool schema attribute modify --help

This command overwrites the value of searchflags,
so be sure to view the current content before making changes.

Example1:
samba-tool schema attribute modify uid
--searchflags="fATTINDEX,fPRESERVEONDELETE"

This alters the uid attribute to be indexed and to be preserved when
converted to a tombstone.

Important search flag values are:

fATTINDEX: create an equality index for this attribute.
fPDNTATTINDEX: create a container index for this attribute (ie OU).
fANR: specify that this attribute is a member of the ambiguous name
     resolution set.
fPRESERVEONDELETE: indicate that the value of this attribute should be
     preserved when the object is converted to a tombstone (deleted).
fCOPY: hint to clients that this attribute should be copied.
fTUPLEINDEX: create a tuple index for this attribute. This is used in
      substring queries.
fSUBTREEATTINDEX: create a browsing index for this attribute. VLV
searches
      require this.
fCONFIDENTIAL: indicate that the attribute is confidental and requires
      special access checks.
fNEVERVALUEAUDIT: indicate that changes to this value should NOT be
audited.
fRODCFILTEREDATTRIBUTE: indicate that this value should not be
replicated to
      RODCs.
fEXTENDEDLINKTRACKING: indicate to the DC to perform extra link
tracking.
fBASEONLY: indicate that this attribute should only be displayed when
the
       search scope of the query is SCOPE_BASE or a single object
result.
fPARTITIONSECRET: indicate that this attribute is a partition secret
and
       requires special access checks.

The authoritative source of this information is the MS-ADTS.