smbd: High CPU usage

Thu Jul 19 06:34:42 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 01:03:35AM -0500, Scott Lovenberg wrote:
> It’s been a long time since I’ve spent any time at the hardware
> level, but isn’t the high cost of system calls on MIPS due to the
> exaggerated cost of a context switch on that platform due to memory
> amount/distance? Which leads me to the thought, “will a smart

Possibly. What we discussed at that point was to get user space out of
the way completely for SMB2_READ and SMB2_WRITE. Put enough logic and
information into the kernel that it can do those operations without
bothering smbd user space at all. Sadly that never went anywhere, to
me that's a very interesting approach. The first step would be to have
that in two processes: One main smbd doing the nasty complex stuff and
another one doing what a future kernel extension would do. That would
be testable anywhere and define the API requirements.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de