Samba 5.0 for a pure Python3 (ouside waf) release? (was: Re: Samba 4.10 or 5.0)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 12 17:38:26 UTC 2018

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:13:02 -0700
Jeremy Allison via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 11:51:53AM +1200, Andrew Bartlett via
> samba-technical wrote:
> >
> > I would like to make it 5.0, if we can use it as the excuse to go
> > pure Python 3.6 for the release, (outside waf use).
> >
> > What do others think?
>
> Samba 5.0 should be python3 only IMHO. It's insane to
> try and support two completely different and utterly
> incompatible scripting languages in one tree (only half
> joking here :-). Might as well just re-write in perl
> (triggering Rowland here :-).

Triggered LOL

I personally think you need to be an 'Igor' to understand perl, most
perl scripts I have seen (and understood) can usually be written
easier and quicker in bash.
What I cannot understand is, why do they keep totally rewriting
 things just at the point they are working okay ? and then not
 backwards compatible.

> But whether 5.0 should be the *next* relelase, rather
> than 4.10 is another question I think.

I thought that was the question and I also thought that most of those
who posted were in favour of 5.0

> Jeremy.

By the way, seeing as you are now a well seasoned seaman, have you
bought a Parrot yet ;-)

Rowland