Custom PAM module to use in Samba

Tue Jul 10 11:41:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:43:36AM +0100, Daniel Iwan wrote:
> Thanks for confirming Volker.
> What would be he best option to integrate Samba with 3rd party
> authentication service?
> Is it possible to plug something into winbind?
> Is this even feasible?

If the 3rd party auth service requires plain text passwords -- no,
this is not feasible.

Samba as an authentication service (a domain controller) can be
configured to pass the passwords for the users it hosts in plain text
to the 3rd party. And if that 3rd party can ship plain text or the NT
hash to Samba as a DC, we would also have a chance. But that's two
auth services replicating passwords to each other.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de