Regressions

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 3 21:41:50 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-07-03 at 21:50 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jul 2018 08:34:38 +1200
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2018-07-03 at 21:30 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> > >
> > > And you think using an old version of waf isn't a regression ?
> > > The waf version used by Samba is that old,it has whiskers ;-)
> > >

> > Correct Rowland,
> >
> > A regression in Samba means a behaviour (that is a bug) which is worse
> > in the new release compared with the old one.
> >
> > While undesirable, maintaining our old version of waf into a new
> > version is not a regression.
> >
> > The inverse is the case, a new version of waf is considered a feature,
> > and may address existing bugs that we have lived with for some time.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> >

> No, that's your version, my version is it is something that holds you
> back and stops optimal performance and can be fixed. Samba at the
> moment is a bit like a Rolls-Royce fitted with a Ford pop engine, it
> works, but it would work a lot better with the right engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_regression

English is a flexible language, but your definition is not what the
Samba Team as a whole has used for the rule around release blockers.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_Release_Planning#Blocker_bugs_an
d_time_rather_than_feature_based_releases

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Blocker_bugs

Thanks,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba