GitLab feedback?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jul 3 04:14:47 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-07-03 at 09:37 +0530, Amit via samba-technical wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Why shift from github to gitlab?

A number of Samba Team members are strongly philosophically opposed to
using the non-free GitHub web service.

Without broad buy-in from across the team GitHub remained a service
that essentially only developers outside the Samba Team used, and at
best was always a bit clunky.

The one-way mailing list notification hook (needed because not
everybody would sign up to GitHub) was particularly hated.

I've had much better feedback on the philosophical part of using
GitLab, and I've been able to do much stronger testing with GitLab's
CI, because we can easily provide cloud-based runners for the parts the
free service won't run.

We still haven't fully embraced GitLab, but nobody has (yet!) spoken
out against the small steps we have made so far.

I hope this clarifies things,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba