[Patches] for dbcheck (Re: [Patches] AD Database corruption after upgrade from <= 4.6 to 4.7 (bug #13228))

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 30 23:24:29 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-01-30 at 19:56 +0100, Stefan Metzmacher via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as a lot of SerNet customers are having trouble with corrupted
> linked attributes, my colleague Ralph Böhme and I developed
> patches for 'samba-tool dbcheck' to recover the missing
> forward links (in most cases missing member attributes).
>
> I'm currently running a private autobuild with these patches
> and my colleague Björn Baumbach is currently testing SAMBA+
> packages with the patches included, which will be released
> as soon as possible.
>
> As the patches re-add members to groups administrators may want
> avoid using '--yes' and ack the re-added members explicitly.
>
> The patches have enough review tags already, additional
> review isn't required, we'll wait a bit to collect some feedback
> from others, before pushing.

Wow, that is an amazing patch set!  I do want to say a really big
thank-you for doing this work.

How do you exclude the case where the forward link is there, but is
deleted/deactivated (rmd_flags=1)?  In that case we don't want to
restore the forward link even if the backlink is still there.

Given the tests we had I'm assuming it is handled implicitly somehow,
but wanted to ask the question given the sensitivity of this
processing.

Also, should we restrict the test to run when the DB doesn't have
sortedLinks set (ie upgraded) so we avoid the expensive search and
possible re-introduction of links that are both deactivated and
expunged?

Thanks,