Require nmbd for NetBIOS, even for client code?

Thu Jan 25 08:20:07 UTC 2018

Hi!

Right now I'm trying to streamline our DC lookup. On that way I am
digging through our NetBIOS name lookup routines, which I believe we
can't drop yet. To significantly simplify them I would like to make
the following change: I would make nmbd accept packets to send out via
NetBIOS on the "unexpected" socket. This would mean that our NetBIOS
name lookup requests will also come from port 137, which makes us more
compatible with the legacy stuff. I would remove the code that sends
out packets via individual sockets. For the replies we have to listen
on the "unexpected" pipe *and* the sending socket, which is pretty
ugly. My patchset would make that a single point of NetBIOS "calls".

However, this would mean that nmblookup & friends (and also "net rpc
join" to a classic domain") would require nmbd to run for the lookups.

By the way, for proper operation winbind in a classic domain already
does require nmbd to run to make the getdc dgram requests. They *must*
come from 138.

Any objections?

Thanks, Volker

--
Besuchen Sie die verinice.XP 2018 in Berlin,
Anwenderkonferenz für Informationssicherheit

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de