Cleaning up OpenChange

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Jan 25 00:48:50 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 12:29 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 02:12 +0100, ser.olmy--- via samba-technical
> wrote:
> > I'm trying to get OpenChange to compile against recent versions of
> > Samba, and I'm making some progress. Currently I'm stuck on the
> > mapiproxy code.
> > Jelmer
> > According to the comments in the file, dcesrv_mapiproxy.c (which no
> > longer compiles), it's heavily based on dcesrv_remote.c in Samba.
> > In
> > fact, it seems the programmer just used the Samba file as a
> > template,
> > as even occurences of blank lines with tabs are identical to those
> > in
> > older versions of dcesrv_remote.c in the Samba codebase.
> >
> > My question: Is there anything I can read to get up to speed about
> > the changes that occurred in Samba 4.5.0, when
> > dcesrv_connection_context was altered? (Except the (entire) Samba
> > source code itself, that is. :)
>
> I would suggest the git log of the changes that were made to
> dcesrv_remote.c and the rpc_server and try and follow things from
> there.
>
> I can probably help if need be.  But do be aware there will be much
> more needed than just fixing that.
>
> One thing that was changes is mentioned in the 4.7 release notes,
> where
> a lp hook was removed.  There is probably another way to implement
> that
> however.
>
> This will be a long road.  I've CC'ed Jelmer who at least has some of
> the OpenChange background, as most of that project has melted away
> sadly.

OpenChange has been dormant for the last year or two, after the Zentyal
team stopped working on it and Julien moved on.

I'm happy to provide you with pointers and more background. Like Andrew
says, it's possible to fix OpenChange to build against Samba again with
 some effort (and possibly some minor changes to Samba).

Please be aware that OpenChange itself is pretty much still in a proof-
of-concept kind of state, and probably not ready for serious production
use.

Jelmer