Cleaning up OpenChange

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jan 23 17:24:44 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 03:34:21AM +0100, ser.olmy--- via samba-technical wrote:
> And regarding the project melting away...
> <rant>
> I was horrified to see the OpenChange project die like it did, and I
> must admit I was puzzled and somewhat dismayed to see that no one of the
> Samba team seemed to take an interest. I do realize you're all very busy
> and I'm thoroughly impressed with the quality of the code you've been
> producing, but still. Exchange is a huge deal.
>
> Without OpenChange there is exactly *one* piece of software that
> seamlessly integrates mail, contacts and calendars, with support built
> into every mobile device from every manufacturer. No wonder Microsoft
> has such a stranglehold on the market with Office 356. Some real
> competition is sorely needed.
> </rant>

I appreciate the <rant>, but you have to remember we're the
*Samba* Team, not the "OpenChange" Team. Believe me, I know
how important Exchange is, but it's not our core competancy,
and the people who were interested in it couldn't make it
work as a business (one of the reasons Samba survives is
that it works as a business component for many different
companies - it's what helps fund development).

I still hope someone (maybe you :-) will pick it up and
make it work as a partnership with one of the existing
groupware/email vendors. That's the long-term strategy
for getting this code supported.