FW: samba port 135 conflict with dce service on hpux

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jan 16 17:12:02 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 04:49:56AM +0000, Kumar, Arjit (SSTO) via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>

> dced/rpcd provides below services depending on how it is invoked.
>
> ·         Endpoint Mapper
>
> ·         Local Location Broker
>
> ·         Host Data Management
>
> ·         Server Management
>
> ·         Security Validation
>
> ·         Key Table Management
>

> For more details of dced or services please refer dced(1m)<http://nixdoc.net/man-pages/HP-UX/dced.1m.html>.

How hard would it be to port these services to Samba,
so that you can use the Samba DCE-RPC implementation
as-is ? You need the IDL plus a backend implementation
inside Samba.

Might not be harder than doing the reverse, plus the
DCE-RPC implementation I would bet is a lot more secure
than the old OSF code (at least people have already
had a go at bashing our implementation with security
review :-).

Jeremy.