A plan

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Fri Jan 12 19:32:38 UTC 2018

Am 12.01.2018 um 19:49 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> G'Day All.
>
> I ran some tests overnight as promised.
>
> The first thing to say is that we (sadly) need to drop Douglas'
> visualisation patches.  There are some python errors in the error cases
> which show up only at the end of a full run (because the DB has junk in
> it) that are not handled.
>
> Then I think we need to run tests on less than this full branch.
>
> I'll try:
>  - master plus the flapping additions
>  - metze's branch minus Douglas' patches

I fixed Douglas' patches and your talloc patches.

>  - asn's branch with the flapping additions (but not whoami)

I think these can wait.

> We historically have always got into a muddle when we combine
> everybody's patch into one push, it feels like it would save time but
> actually takes longer:  This is because it assumes that all the patches
> work, and for example I've put in good, tested code that failed, but
> should have just failed its own autobuild, not held up yours.
>
> For master, I think some builds with just the flapping tests marked
> would be good, then put that in.  Then do the rest by topic, owned by
> the author.
>
> In the medium term, Jamie (one of my new developers at Catalyst) is
> working to untangle our testsuite inter-dependences.  The aim here is
> to find sets of tests that:
>  - are reliable
>  - do no depend on each other
>  - consume < 4GB of RAM
>  - take less than 1 hour
>
> (And then to split these into parallel test environments)
>
> At Catalyst, running cloud builds for test is quite normal, often
> before posting and generally before pushing.  But I've noticed that
> even for me that the closer I get to the release deadline, the less
> likely I am to wait for a full 5 hour build for the absolute final
> patch.  I'm more likely to do what I did with the talloc patch: trust
> earlier tests on different code and the newly written tests and aim at
> autobuild.
>
> What I would like to get to is a norm where when posting patches for
> review, we post them to (say) gitlab by habit, and by the time they are
> reviewed a clear 'passed/failed' flag is shown so we don't waste time
> on patches that won't pass.

It would be nice to have that.

> In the meantime I'll run our 5-hour testsuite a few more times in hope
> of getting the data on what can safely land for 4.8.

Please you my latest autobuild branch.

It just failed with some really rare flapping tests, e.g.
samba.nbt.dgram. We also saw some pam_winbindd failures,
while setting up the ad_member env.

I'll try a few more times with the whole branch, then I'll
start pushing just the first chunks.

metze