Disable the flapping tests for now?

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Fri Jan 12 08:34:07 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 11 January 2018 19:35:38 CET Andrew Bartlett via samba-technical
wrote:
> This is a bit late, but anyway:
>
> Something has changed, and the rfc2307 and whoami tests are flapping
> 50% - 75% of the time.
>
> If history is any guide this is causing some considerable stress.
>
> I wonder if we could disable the flapping tests and give a couple of
> days breathing room for those who reasonably expected patches to land
> to do so, then release 4.8.0rc1?
>
> (Garming has been trying to land David's GPO patches for example, and I
> keep seeing Jeremy in the autobuild queue but without a patch landing).
>
> I normally don't like declaring something flapping until we know why
> that is the case, as doing so removes the pressure to actually fix the
> underlying issue.
>
> My rationale here is that unlike the case at 4.5.0rc1 with flapping DRS
> tests, these flapping tests seem to be quite specific and effectively
> removing them wouldn't reduce the overall testing significantly.
>
> What do folks think?

I've had a short look with Ralph yesterday. Currently a patch for the change
secret test is on the way to autobuild. The whoami test fails creating an smb
connection to nt4_member using the machine account. It is possible that an
earlier test breaks the secret.

Possible culprit, see attached (in autobuild right now).

For the idmap_rfc2703 test, it looks like that something prevents output.
There are a lot of "echo" in it to give information but you don't find them in
the autobuild logs. It would be great if someone could look into why we don't
get any output.

I will look into the whoami test.

This is not a NAK but we need to improve debug output of that tests, would be
great to do that first.

	Andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: CC014E3D
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org