samba port 135 conflict with dce service on hpux

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jan 12 08:20:26 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-01-12 at 09:15 +0100, Volker Lendecke via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:51:51AM +0530, Arjit Gupta via samba-technical wrote:
> > Please suggest possible impact if we start  EPMAP (End Point Mapper)
> > service on port other then 135 or if any other solution is available.
>
> It just won't work. You must use a machine where Samba can take over
> 135. Alternatively, you could start patching Samba to register its
> services via the existing EPMAP. This might be possible, but not
> without significant code changes in Samba.

Additionally, Samba as an AD DC on HP-UX is just going to be a
snowflake: one of a kind.  Take this as a warning that this has never
been tested and is strongly advised against.

Is there a good reason why you can't run up a Linux VM for the AD DC?