RFC: reduce number of alias parameters

Björn JACKE bjacke at samba.org
Wed Jan 10 16:53:57 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-10 at 17:25 +0100 Stefan Metzmacher via samba-technical sent off:
> > this patch finally marks the alias parameters as deprecated. Unfortunately
> > those have to be matched manually. Also the change for the man page will need a
> > lot mor manual work. I will send a patch for that later. I send this already now
> > because I hope that the change will make it into master before rc1 is splitted
> > off.
> >
> > review and commit to master would be very welcome.
>
> I think we should use FLAG_SYNONYM similar to FLAG_DEPRECATED
> instead of having a large if statement with explicit checks.

exactly that is not easiliy possible unless I don't understand what you mean
exactly here. Deprecating parameters is done via the xml files, a very
soffisticated mechanism - very neat but very difficult to understand and modify
the underlying code (at least for me). If you want to do the deprecation of the
alias parameters in a similar soffisticated way, it would be good if you would
propose a patch for that :-)

Björn