Fwd: docs: Building with Makefile

Timur I. Bakeyev timur at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 7 20:57:15 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Andreas Schneider via samba-technical <
samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, 6 January 2018 20:48:14 CET Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 06, 2018 at 05:48:17PM +0100, Andreas Schneider via samba-
> technical wrote:
> > > On Saturday, 6 January 2018 03:18:11 CET Richard Sharpe via
> > > samba-technical

> samba-technical

> > > Hey, I was the one who wanted to use CMake but then someone told me
> that
> > > waf is better than butter on bread. Now we maintain a broken build
> system
> > > which doesn't work with python3.
> > >
> > > But hey we have install_with_python.sh which downloads and builds
> python2
> > > for us, that's future proof!
> > >
> > > :-P
> >
> > IMHO waf has not been a success, even though Metze likes
> > the fact it is raw python :-). I don't think anyone expected
> > that python2 and python3 would be entirely different languages :-).
>
> Distritubtions are working on deprecating python2. This means it will be
> completely removed

I believe Jelmer once worked on switching to WAF 1.8.0, which was already
Python3 friendly.

I guess, from there it would be easier to leap to the WAF 2.0.4. We still
have some artifacts of
not fully porting from autotools to WAF, so converting to yet another build
system will make that
pain doubled.