docs: Building with Makefile

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Sat Jan 6 16:48:17 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 03:18:11 CET Richard Sharpe via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Andreas Schneider via samba-technical
>
> <samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> > On Friday, 5 January 2018 19:56:02 CET Björn Jacke wrote:
> >> The branch, master has been updated
> >>
> >>        via  3cbeaf4 docs-xml: add basic Makefile dependencies for targets
> >>
> >> that use xsltproc via  9b27948 docs-xml: set a reasonable
> >> XML_CATALOG_FILES
> >> in Makefile via  a2f5b3b docs-xml: generate build/catalog.xml via
> >> Makefile
> >> target from  2245a4b autobuild: fix quoting of --restrict-tests
> >>
> >> https://git.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=shortlog;h=master
> >>

> >> - Log -----------------------------------------------------------------
> >> commit 3cbeaf40937082bd7072d715ae02aa0989835432
> >> Author: Björn Jacke <bjacke at samba.org>
> >> Date:   Thu Jan 4 16:35:12 2018 +0100
> >>
> >>     docs-xml: add basic Makefile dependencies for targets that use
> >>     xsltproc
> >
> > Why do you build with Makefile? Is the stuff in waf so bad?
>
> Waf is a heap of shit that invalidates all my other knowledge about
> autotools and removes functionality we used to have, like out-of-tree
> builds of VFS modules.

Hey, I was the one who wanted to use CMake but then someone told me that waf
is better than butter on bread. Now we maintain a broken build system which
doesn't work with python3.

But hey we have install_with_python.sh which downloads and builds python2 for
us, that's future proof!

:-P