Are there any command line options available to know the (user)account type?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Feb 16 20:50:19 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:22:27 -0800
Jeremy Allison via samba-technical <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 07:40:06PM +0000, Hemanth Thummala via
> samba-technical wrote:
> > Hi Jeremy,
> >
> > I have attached to gdb and able to dump the sid type returned from
> > DC.
> >
> > dcerpc_wbint_LookupName_done (subreq=0x55ca88d6fdf0) at
> > default/librpc/gen_ndr/ndr_winbind_c.c:820 820
> > default/librpc/gen_ndr/ndr_winbind_c.c: No such file or directory.
> > (gdb) 825	in default/librpc/gen_ndr/ndr_winbind_c.c
> > (gdb) p *state->tmp.out.type
> > $1 = SID_NAME_USER
> >
> > I think this confirms that DC only giving the type as USER.
>
> Wow - what an utter pain ! I wonder why the DC is lying
> like that ? That's the whole point of that call, to get
> the SID and type.

It probably isn't lying ;-)
Don't forget a computer is a user with another objectclass

I have also finally found a reason for giving a computer a uidNumber
attribute ;-)

rowland at devstation:$ getent passwd devstation$
devstation$:*:10027:10000::/home/devstation_:/bin/bash
rowland at devstation:$ getent passwd devstation
rowland at devstation:$

Rowland