Fixing sn-devel only (was: Re: bashism again (was: Re: LDAP tests failing))

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Feb 9 18:59:32 UTC 2018

On Fri, 2018-02-09 at 19:14 +0100, Ralph Böhme wrote:

> can we just replace dash with bash on sn-devel?
>
> Given the grieve and headache this is causing and the staggering amount of work
> adding test for the shell scripts itself, paving over the problem by replacing
> dash with bash looks tempting.

I'm sorry, while incredibly tempting, just 'fixing' sn-devel would just
make the problem worse.

The reason is this.  While the vast majority of Samba developers only
ever test Samba on sn-devel as part of running an autobuild, it is not
the only test platform in use.

* For my colleagues as Catalyst, we also test Samba on VM images of
Ubuntu 14.04 on the Catalyst Cloud.

* An environment (based on a Docker image) of Ubuntu 14.04 is being
prepared to test Samba via Gitlab CI

* Travis CI tests Samba for contributors that use GitHub, running on
Ubuntu 14.04

* Despite the 5 hour runtime, some developers run the full make test
locally on their development workstations and many developers run the
test they think they are fixing locally.

* Finally, on principle our test-suite really should be reproducible,
just as our builds should be.

Therefore, attractive as it might seem at first, we can't just bend sn-
devel to meet the needs of the testsuite.  The same came up in
discussion about what we need to properly test (and so support) MIT
Kerberos as an AD DC: anything beyond the base OS can't be manually
installed/changed, it needs to be embeded in our test system.

Getting back to the specific issue, we can of course change the script
header from sh to bash (and fix the offending line to work with bash),
however we have had requests from Timur from FreeBSD to have 'make
test' run there as well.

That is how we got to the conclusion that we probably need to just
remove the bashisms and test to avoid them coming back.

Sorry,