NFSV4 ACLs on LINUX OS

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Thu Feb 8 14:50:07 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 11:44:27AM +0000, Sharma, Rohit via samba-team wrote:
> Looping in samba-technical group.
>
> I disagree with the below. We have NFSv4 file systems with millions of nfsv4
> ACLs on them!
>
> Our problem is that on Linux it works perfectly like it should but when we use
> the windows explorer(With the help of SAMBA) these NFSv4 ACLs are not getting
> translated to NT ( Windows) end.
>
> I did more research and found the attached .c program and am looking for a .so
> for it to place it under my /vfs directory and call it in my smb.conf.

This .c file is part of a new VFS module that will ship with Samba 4.8
iirc. What it does is store NT ACLs mapped to NFSv4 ACLs, XDR or NDR encoded in
an extended attribute. The XDR encoding is proabably not 100% compatible with
that of your NFS server and worse, the xattr namespace used by the NFS server
(system) is probably not accessible from userspace, so the module uses the
security namespace by default.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team       https://samba.org/