Python version and the AD DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 19 17:09:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-12-19 at 17:16 +0100, Ralph Böhme wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> it seems since a19d5bd771c1727b037d28d24af0b85e49bdafb2 samba-tool
> and therefor
> the AD DC requires Python 3, is this correct?
>
> Is this intentional? With all the recent good work on the Python
> stuff it was a
> little hard to keep up with mails and follow on the trail, so I
> assume I missed
> some relevant mails. :)
>
> WHATSNEW only mentions that the default changes to Python 3.
>
> *scratches head*

It is supported for installed use.  For in-tree development you need to
set PYTHON=python2

$ PYTHON=python2 ./configure --prefix=/tmp/prefx && PYTHON=python2 make
-j && PYTHON=python2 make install

$ /tmp/prefx/bin/samba-tool
Usage: samba-tool <subcommand>

Main samba administration tool.

$ head /tmp/prefx/bin/samba-tool -n 3
#!/usr/bin/env python2

# Unix SMB/CIFS implementation.

I hope this clarifies things.  It certainly wasn't intended to be
'easy' to stay on python2, as a developer, but for end-users with no
other options it should remain possible.  However this is a really good
example of why we should switch as soon as possible to just one Python
release.

Thanks,