A big thank you to those closing Merge and Pull requests (GitLab and GitHub)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Dec 15 17:53:41 UTC 2018

G'Day,

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped close
out old merge requests and pull requests.

As we move away from GitHub it is nice to be able to, even if long-
overdue, accept the pull requests[1] rather than just tell our
contributor that the procedure has changed.  Thanks to everyone who
reviewed the patches, we are down to one page, just 25 pull requests to
go.

Likewise on GitLab it is much nicer for everyone, particularly
reviewers looking at it as TODO list, if the open merge request list[2]
is a clear list of patches that are waiting for review, so closing old
merge requests as they are merged or become obsolete is really helpful!

(We are also down to one page there as well)

When closing accepted requests[3], please say something like:

 Merged into master as <git hash> for Samba <next version>.

This will help users who find these in a search engine to know when
they got merged, and we may manage to have these entered into the
GitLab DB in the future to show the changes as 'merged', not closed.

Thanks!

[1] https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pulls
[2] https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests
[3] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_CI_on_gitlab#Merging_patches_from_GitLab_.28for_Samba_Team_members.29