Extending Gitlab CI

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 13 17:59:15 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-12-13 at 14:31 +0100, Andreas Schneider via samba-
technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a gitlab ci runner with Fedora [1] to do at least basic MIT
> Kerberos testing [2]!

Great!

> I would like to have that in team repo we use for development.

So would I!

> The gitlib ci runner images are build using the samba-gitlabci-build-images
> [3] project to create the docker images. All you have to do is to push your
> changes and a pipleline will be started to build a new image and push it.

Interesting.  I was talking with Joe around the office about how to get
the current docker image stuff into somewhere more common.

I'll write more thoughts when in the office.

> In addition I'm trying to get csbuild [4] working for Samba testing [5] which
> runs with additional warnings and static analysis. However it times out after
> 3 hours. This means the performance of the free gitlab ci runners is not
> enough for a Samba build right now. I could decrease the cswrap timeout which
> would we might get flakey results.

That's why we have paid-for (well, donated, I'm told) runners :-)

> An example of an failing csbuild looks like this:
> https://gitlab.com/libssh/libssh-mirror/-/jobs/128004825
>
> How could we move forward with a MIT KRB5 build?

I'm entirely comfortable with our GitLab CI being more comprehensive
than sn-devel.  It brings the risk that someone who pushes to sn-devel
directly without waiting to see a positive GitLab CI could 'break' the
GitLab CI.  However this risk is self-correcting: don't do that!

Additionally, see
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/merge_requests/152
for a very interesting approach, have autobuild.py (as run on sn-devel)
push to a GitLab and have the tests run remotely!

That would both reduce server load and make it much easier to update
our dependencies, as it just becomes a matter of updating docker files!

In short, this is exactly the direction we should be going.