Future directions - !SMB1 by 2020 ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Dec 12 21:59:43 UTC 2018

So I've been thinking some long-term thoughts
about the Samba project.

I'd like to propose a radical idea.

I'd like to remove the SMB1 and NetBIOS
(nmbd etc.) code from Samba by the end of
year 2020.

I'm guessing that will be a Samba version
we can call Samba 5.x (if we haven't already
moved before then).

Of course I'll have to get off my ass and
finish the SMB3+ UNIX extensions (ongoing)
in order to match current Linux -> Samba
functionality.

But use of SMB1 is small and diminishing,
and keeping this code functional will
eventually require wasting resources that
would be better spent on SMB2+ improvements.

It'll be easier to restructure the server
around clustered SMB3 when we're not continuously
worrying about breaking SMB1 rap call tests :-).

For people who require SMB1 support for the
forseeable future, they can remain on Samba
4.x which which will get maintained by vendors
and consulting companies (in the same way
we sometimes do patches for Samba 3.0.x
for security).

The need for dual access from SMB1 and
SMB3 simultaneously I would argue will