samba-tool ImportError: No module named param

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Dec 12 21:05:50 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 10:01:42PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 12:59:46PM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > We have to run on the python treadmill in the same
> > way we're on the Microsoft SMB server and Apple SMB
> > server treadmill.
> >
> > Just hopefully we can run fast enough that we don't
> > get thrown off with great force :-).
>
> Maybe we should stop putting more stuff into python and move to C
> again, at least for future code?

Underlying technology we depend on (talloc, tevent, tdb,
libsmb smb etc.) should be C.

Auxiliary and supporting stuff is OK in python3 I think,
especially for AD-DC code which already depends on python.

But we need to standardize on one language and move off
the python2 language as fast as possible I think, both
for build systems and tooling.

If that means abandoning building on python2 then so
be it. We don't have the resources to support two different
languages for this (IMHO).