samba-tool ImportError: No module named param

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 12 20:48:12 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2018-12-12 at 21:17 +0100, Volker Lendecke via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 07:08:43PM +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> > - When packaging software that is source compatible with both versions,
> >   distributions may change such python shebangs to python3. This ensures
> >   software is used with the latest version of Python available, and it
> >   can remove a dependency on Python 2.
> >
> > On Fedora side I'm firmly in the camp with the latter statement. This
> > allows us a chance to eventually get rid of Python 2 at all. Fedora
> > ships python-unversioned-command package which introduces
> > /usr/bin/python as /usr/bin/python2 symlink. If you wouldn't install
> > this package, you have no /usr/bin/python at all.
>
> Then we have quite some work ahead: samba-tool as such might be
> compatible to both, but how do you find out from within samba-tool for
> which python version our libraries have been compiled? Can you run
> python2 samba-tool find the import does not work and retry with
> python3 then? This might be a way, but I'm not enough of a python
> wizard to say how this is to be done. If that is difficult, we can
> only compile for what /usr/bin/python points at. Everything else just
> leads to our bugzilla to blow up.

Hence the #! rewriting in the install scripts.  Been there for ages (so
as to allow Samba to be built against a python not in the path), it
clear needs some tweaking.

The install target in waf knows the version it built, and rewrites it.
See:

https://gitlab.com/samba-team/samba/blob/master/buildtools/wafsamba/wafsamba.py#L765

Really, while I know it makes you feel angry, there really isn't
anything dire here.

Finally, as you know, the same team that has been working on this all
year, and for years before that, is still working to smooth out any
remaining issues.

The Python3 transition is an agreed Samba Team goal at this point and I
would just ask that you either show some patience or step in and help,
say with actual patches or investigation results.

Thanks!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba