samba-tool ImportError: No module named param

Wed Dec 12 20:17:55 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 07:08:43PM +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> - When packaging software that is source compatible with both versions,
>   distributions may change such python shebangs to python3. This ensures
>   software is used with the latest version of Python available, and it
>   can remove a dependency on Python 2.
>
> On Fedora side I'm firmly in the camp with the latter statement. This
> allows us a chance to eventually get rid of Python 2 at all. Fedora
> ships python-unversioned-command package which introduces
> /usr/bin/python as /usr/bin/python2 symlink. If you wouldn't install
> this package, you have no /usr/bin/python at all.

Then we have quite some work ahead: samba-tool as such might be
compatible to both, but how do you find out from within samba-tool for
which python version our libraries have been compiled? Can you run
python2 samba-tool find the import does not work and retry with
python3 then? This might be a way, but I'm not enough of a python
wizard to say how this is to be done. If that is difficult, we can
only compile for what /usr/bin/python points at. Everything else just
leads to our bugzilla to blow up.

Volker

--
Besuchen Sie die verinice.XP 2019 in Berlin!
Anwenderkonferenz für Informationssicherheit

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de