samba-tool ImportError: No module named param

Wed Dec 12 20:14:06 UTC 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 04:35:23PM +0000, Noel Power wrote:
> that's not quite true, the recommendation  is new code should use a shebang
> appropriate to the version that is targetted python2 or python3 (or even
> more finely grained python2.x or python3.x etc.) The exception is code that
> is designed to work with both. /usr/bin/python in modern systems is a
> placeholder (e.g. a link) the actual scripting interpreters are python2 &
> python3 so it kindof makes sense to have the shebang names as it is to
> reflect that.

samba-tool just does not work with both. I don't know why, my guess is
different library naming conventions. It just does not work. And if we
ship something where samba-tool does not work rock solid we're screwed
big ways.

> > We must force the user to choose either python2 or python3 at build
> > time and not even pretend to do anything else. If the default "python"
> > is python2, just don't do any attempt to even use or build for
> > python3.
> well whoever is building needs to decide and it doesn't necessary depend on
> what /usr/bin/python points at

It does. It took me an hour today to figure that out, so I could help
Björn pretty quickly. But how many of our users can make sense out of
straces where the python interpreter looks at the wrong .o file names?
I guess not too many.

> >   If "python" runs python3, do the reverse. No mix up. At all.
> >
> > We should make a blocker bug for 4.10. We can't ship with this mess.
>
> it isn't as much of a mess as you think, the problem is that we probably
> should be replacing the shebang on any python scripts (or tools) that are
> delivered as part of the build (depending on which python version is
> targetted). This is already something we are discussing but it is good to
> get feedback. That's the purpose of getting in early into master so we can
> iron these things out

Sorry, but me as not the 100% python developer living in both worlds,
this looks like a huge mess that I am reluctant to drop on our users.

Volker

--
Besuchen Sie die verinice.XP 2019 in Berlin!
Anwenderkonferenz für Informationssicherheit

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de