./configure without python3?

Stefan Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Dec 12 09:57:27 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew,

>> The build falls over by default on CentOS 7, RHEL 6, FreeBSD 11 and AIX
>> 7.  We either save our (manual installing) users some pain and make it
>> work if they don't have python3...
>
> Sure.  But please do remember that python2 support, except for the --
> disable-python fileserver build, is going away after 4.10 branches.

We should not rush that in!
Now that everything seems to work in both worlds, the cost of
maintaining it are not really high.

Actually it will make it harder because it's not trivial to backport
bug fixes to 4.9 and 4.10, because the master patches are no longer
tested with python2.

I'd like to defer the decision about it to before 4.11 branches,
then we have real world feedback of how 4.10 works with python3.

metze