./configure without python3?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Dec 11 00:59:05 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-12-11 at 10:47 +1100, Martin Schwenke via samba-technical
wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:17:16 +1300, Andrew Bartlett
> <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>

> I don't think my feelings come into it.  :-D
>
> The build falls over by default on CentOS 7, RHEL 6, FreeBSD 11 and AIX
> 7.  We either save our (manual installing) users some pain and make it
> work if they don't have python3...

Sure.  But please do remember that python2 support, except for the --
disable-python fileserver build, is going away after 4.10 branches.

> > My gut feeling is that we want the current behaviour.
>
> ... or we don't.  :-)
>
> > However, the alternative would need us to have the ./configure script
> > rewrite the Makefile (eg an autoconf style Makefile.in -> Makefile) to
> > then run waf with the detected $PYTHON.
> >
> > Not the end of the world of course, and if you would like us to go that
> > way perhaps you could create something that does that?
>
> I think the Makefile.in -> Makefile idea probably adds more fragility
> that we don't need... and it is quite a fundamental change that causes
> a lot of churn.
>
> I like the suggestion I saw in another reply where someone suggested
> using buildtools/python.sh and have that script run the right
> version.  ;-)

ENOPATCH?

As long as PYTHON becomes a python interpreter, and not the shell
script I suppose that might work, and assuming it runs identically
between the configure and make steps.

Finally, I think some work needs to be done on the interaction of this
as the SAMBA_CHECK_PYTHON code in buildtools/wafsamba/samba_python.py.
Currently that looks for 'python' but is always being overridden by the
./configure script, and then soon your configure-before-the-configure
script.

> > I see it is going to be a fun couple of weeks before Chirstmas :-)
>
> These weeks are always fun.  Clearly someone needs to go to a Xmas
> party and drink excessively before making the final decision...  :-)

Cheers!

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba