./configure without python3?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 10 23:17:16 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-12-11 at 09:08 +1100, Martin Schwenke via samba-technical
wrote:
> Unfortunately, I haven't been following the python3 changes closely, so
> a quick question...
>
> Last night all of our local CI jobs fell over because python3 was not
> found in ./configure:
>
>   ${PYTHON:=python3} $WAF configure "$@" || exit 1
>
> None of our jobs set $PYTHON.
>
> I just wanted to check that we really want ./configure to fall over
> when python3 is not available, rather than falling back to python[2],
> as in:
>
>   if [ -z "$PYTHON" ] ; then
>     if type python3 >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
>       export PYTHON="python3"
>     elif type python >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
>       export PYTHON="python"
>     else
>       echo "$0: error, can't find python3 or python"
>       exit 1
>     fi
>   fi
>   $WAF configure "$@" || exit 1
>
> Thanks...

I guess it all depends on how depricated you feel python2 is.

My gut feeling is that we want the current behaviour.

However, the alternative would need us to have the ./configure script
rewrite the Makefile (eg an autoconf style Makefile.in -> Makefile) to
then run waf with the detected $PYTHON.

Not the end of the world of course, and if you would like us to go that
way perhaps you could create something that does that?

I see it is going to be a fun couple of weeks before Chirstmas :-)

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba