Samba package 4.9.x samba smbd not playing with winbind.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Dec 3 16:25:10 UTC 2018

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 17:08:16 +0100
"L.P.H. van Belle via samba-technical"
<samba-technical at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hai Rowland,
>
> Thankfully i have you to correct me.
> I was really thinking that my message was clear..
> Well, at least its now. :-)

So, you install samba and winbind on debian, winbind gets started first
and then when smbd is started, it fails and logs an error that 'Guests'
cannot be mapped.

That is undoubtedly a bug, if Guest cannot be mapped, the server role
should be checked and, if it is 'standalone server', 'Guests' should be
mapped to the OS's guest group, not log an error and definitely not
refuse to start smbd.

Rowland