The smbd_scavenger crashes with a core dump if its parent dies first

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 14:05:13 UTC 2018

Hi folks,

Our QA organization is zealous in finding cores after tests.

If the parent smbd dies before a signal is delivered telling the
scavenger to die, it core dumps.

However, the order in which signals are delivered is not controllable.

If we were to call prctl(PR_SET_NAME, "smbd_scavenger", NULL, NULL,
NULL) in the scavenger just after fork, this could help make shutdown
deterministic and keep QA off my back!

Or perhaps we should just use setproctitle, since that is already used
in winbindd and would work on FreeBSD with no changes.

Would a patch be welcome?

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe