`rmdir` implementation within smbclient

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Aug 8 18:42:52 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 09, 2018 at 12:05:58AM +0530, Anoop C S wrote:

> Also `rmdir` is handled differently for client connections with protocol dialects >=PROTOCOL_SMB2_02
> when compared to those below PROTOCOL_SMB2_02 inside cli_rmdir(). NT_STATUS_DIRECTORY_NOT_EMPTY is
> returned correctly on non-empty directory for client connection below PROTOCOL_SMB2_02 using
> smb_command SMBrmdir(with send, recv approach).
>
> Whereas for higher protocol clients we go via the procedure of creating a fnum with
> FILE_DELETE_ON_CLOSE and assumes to get it deleted while closing the handle(fnum). But inside
> open_directory() we purposefully skip NT_STATUS_DIRECTORY_NOT_EMPTY and fnum creation is successful
> without setting fsp->initial_delete_on_close. Thus a non-empty directory is not deleted during a
> subsequent close unless we explicitly set delete_on_close token i.e, `rmdir` fakes directory
> deletion.
>
> Therefore I can think of the following ways to fix this:
> [1] Do not skip NT_STATUS_DIRECTORY_NOT_EMPTY for can_set_delete_on_close() inside open_directory()
> to return the error.

I'm guessing (although I'll need to check Windows to be sure)
that setting FILE_DELETE_ON_CLOSE on a non-empty directory
handle open over SMB2 to Windows doesn't error out. We need
a test for this if we don't already have one.

If Windows errors out in this case, then that's the correct fix.

The slightly tricky case here is if "delete veto files = yes"
is set. I need to think about that some more.

If not...

> [2] Make sure that we do either of the following to return NT_STATUS_DIRECTORY_NOT_EMPTY during a
> subsequent close:
>     (a) set fsp->initial_delete_on_close by handling NT_STATUS_DIRECTORY_NOT_EMPTY separately inside
>         open_directory().
>         OR
>     (b) explicitly set delete_on_close token using cli_smb2_delete_on_close() after creating fnum
>         inside cli_smb2_rmdir(). Note that cli_smb2_delete_on_close() is not yet consumed in code
>         base.

Then (b) is the correct fix.

> Or do let me know if you have an entirely different approach in fixing the issue.

Nope, let's do the tests and work it out.