Pure python3 for the AD DC for Samba 4.10 (5.0)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 7 03:15:03 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-08-06 at 11:21 +0100, Noel Power wrote:
> Hi
>
> While I can agree with alot of points here, however I don't think we
> need to make hard decisions about if/when to cut off py2 just yet.
> Lets keep our options open. I think the reality is that anyway in the
> first instance we will have to have py2 and py3 working together in a
> compatible way at the very least for a reasonable run in time while
> getting py3 to work.

Sure, I mean after it works, or at a point where we have a final set of
patches and it makes sense to just do the switch than try and make
everything py2/py3.

> > We should push hard and finish this!
>
> Oh I'm all for pushing to get this in as quickly as possible, my own
> patches are getting stale really quickly with our fast moving master, I
> am stuggling even to keep my py2-py3-WIP branch up to date (even just in
> terms of rebasing). In fact I have failed to get a successful CI build
> since my initial attempt to rebase to latest master post vacation.

Can you please focus on getting parts of these up for review?  I'm very
happy to work on review, but I've not seen mails or merge requets in
gitlab.

> So even now my currently failing 'rebase' branch  is quite out of date.
> Not certain whether this is a resource issue or something to do with
> environments getting polluted because of the extra py3 tests running.
> The following tests have failed (and appear to be flapping) but
> eventually after a number of retries passed.
>
> samba.tests.samba_tool.visualize_drs
> samba.tests.join
> samba4.drs.getncchanges
> samba4.drs.replica_sync

OK.  Some of these are known to flap occasionally, I guess the more
they are run the more this is likely to be an issue.

> my last attempt got as far as
> [951(7400)/959 at 4h56m31s] samba.tests.samba_tool.demote(promoted_dc)
> then failed (most of the errors with the above tests seem to have lots
> of messages around connection failures and time)outs

OK.  Can you give me some more detail on this one?  There are often
connection failures around that test, because the other DCs are going
down at this point.

> With that job now taking ~310 minutes the turn around time is really
> torturous, something odd is going on there, I am running out of ideas
> about getting to the bottom of it. Of course running any of the
> problematic tests in question manually pass no problem on my own machine.

Yes, it really is hard.  Splitting up the main 'samba' build would be
worthwhile, but also a distraction.

Let me know if I can help at all.

Thanks,

https://samba.org/~abartlet/