WAF 2.x upgrade for 4.10

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Mon Aug 6 11:46:06 UTC 2018

On ma, 06 elo 2018, Noel Power wrote:
> Hi Andrew/Alexander
>

> On 02/08/18 21:21, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 21:02 +0100, Noel Power wrote:
> >> 4)
> >>
> >>   PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 python3 ./buildtools/bin/waf [FAILS]
> >>
> >> fails with
> >>
> >> "ERROR: grouping library target
> >> pytalloc-util.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu not declared in
> >> samba_python.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu"
> >>
> >> I haven't tried to get to the bottom of this yet, waf scares me :0
> >>
> >> But I think this is a configuration (as in wbuild) problem because a
> >> python3 build (using detected python lib version 2.7 works fine)
> > Noel,
> >
> > Can you strip out all the extra python stuff and try again?  We seem to
> > be on the way to a rough consensus of py3 only for 4.10 and that would
> > greatly simplify everything.
> >
> > All that PYTHON_ABI_FLAG stuff has just caused packaging nightmares and
> > nobody can remember exactly why it was added.
> >
> > Andrew Bartlett
> I'd prefer to keep it the way it is at the moment,  I think we need
> py2/p3 compatibility for a while yet. Anyway I have managed to get over
> the hump, it was as suspected something reasonably simple (but took me a
> long long time to find).
> I now have the ability to run a 'pure' python3 build and have been able
> to run some simple 'no-env' tests (from command line with py3) and the
> CI (see below) indicated I broke py2 trying to get one of the tests to
> work :-)
>
> My branch which contains
>   * my PY2/PY3 wip
>   * Alexanders waf2.0 port
>   * and the additional patches to get 'pure' python3 build going'
>
> branch:
> https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/commits/npower-uber-waf2-plus-py3-porting
> CI: https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/pipelines/27219731
>

> Note: the CI associated with this branch (currently passing with commit
> is running the 'normal' python2 build)
Thanks, Noel. I'm in the process of finalizing waf2.0 fixes -- mostly
adding neccessary tags to the commit messages and clearing some commits.
I've got distracted by a number of more important tasks in other
projects, sorry.

I hope to submit my changes later this week while at Flock conference.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy