WAF 2.x upgrade for 4.10

Noel Power nopower at suse.com
Mon Aug 6 10:16:32 UTC 2018

Hi Andrew/Alexander

On 02/08/18 21:21, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-08-02 at 21:02 +0100, Noel Power wrote:
>> 4)
>>
>>   PYTHON=/usr/bin/python3 python3 ./buildtools/bin/waf [FAILS]
>>
>> fails with
>>
>> "ERROR: grouping library target
>> pytalloc-util.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu not declared in
>> samba_python.cpython-36m-x86_64-linux-gnu"
>>
>> I haven't tried to get to the bottom of this yet, waf scares me :0
>>
>> But I think this is a configuration (as in wbuild) problem because a
>> python3 build (using detected python lib version 2.7 works fine)
> Noel,
>
> Can you strip out all the extra python stuff and try again?  We seem to
> be on the way to a rough consensus of py3 only for 4.10 and that would
> greatly simplify everything.
>
> All that PYTHON_ABI_FLAG stuff has just caused packaging nightmares and
> nobody can remember exactly why it was added.
>
> Andrew Bartlett
I'd prefer to keep it the way it is at the moment,  I think we need
py2/p3 compatibility for a while yet. Anyway I have managed to get over
the hump, it was as suspected something reasonably simple (but took me a
long long time to find).
I now have the ability to run a 'pure' python3 build and have been able
to run some simple 'no-env' tests (from command line with py3) and the
CI (see below) indicated I broke py2 trying to get one of the tests to
work :-)

My branch which contains
  * my PY2/PY3 wip
  * Alexanders waf2.0 port
  * and the additional patches to get 'pure' python3 build going'

branch:
https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/commits/npower-uber-waf2-plus-py3-porting
CI: https://gitlab.com/samba-team/devel/samba/pipelines/27219731

Note: the CI associated with this branch (currently passing with commit
is running the 'normal' python2 build)

Noel