Site coverage DNS update on RODC

Garming Sam garming at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Aug 6 01:13:37 UTC 2018

Hi,

The last time I looked at this code, I found that it was forwarding
calls through 3 or 4 different inter-process communication channels
before finally returning. Just to get an appreciation for what's going
on, I couldn't make heads or tails of the mappings between the different
packet types and protocols and could only assume that it was all more or
less correct. In the case of device timeout, commonly the error is that
there is a timeout on each of the forwarding calls, maybe 10 seconds.
It's possible that this is too short for your purposes, either the
response of the RWDC isn't quick enough or the fact that there are a
number of intermediate forwards makes it inherently not high enough.

The timeout could be occurring in winbind or somewhere in the DCERPC
server (and maybe one other place I can't quite remember). Turning up
the debugging (specifically, not just for the samba_dnsupdate script)
might shed some light on which part is timing out.

Cheers,

Garming