Time to update Samba Roadmap?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Apr 27 17:51:21 UTC 2018

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 07:21:50AM +0000, Anoop C S via samba-technical wrote:
> Hi,
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Roadmap which is intended to give an
> overall idea of Samba project seems to be outdated. It would be good to have
> the content to reflect the present status, TODOs etc which may attract more
> users/developers towards the project. Thoughts?

Good idea, but dependent on the developers who are doing the
work to do so. John Terpstra (who is no longer around) was the
biggest fan of the Roadmap, but I'm not 100% sure that people
look at it for an idea of the direction of the project. Or at
least if people did, they got the wrong idea about the level
of organization involved.

Remember, Samba is driven by engineering time/interest, and
without that we can have all the fany Roadmap text in the world,
but no one is going to implement those features.

> Or is there any alternate public page/doc which fulfils the intention of
> Roadmap ahead?

No there isn't. I'll try and update the parts of the Wiki
Roadmap that I'm involved with.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Jeremy.