Locking, notify collisions using CTDB on non-clustered share?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Fri Apr 13 04:53:30 UTC 2018

I did some digging in Bugzilla but came up empty.  I'm wondering if this is
a known issue:

- I have a clustered file system.
- I have Samba running on <n> nodes of the cluster.
- I have one share on each of the <n> nodes that points to an EXT4
  filesystem.

I'm running the same smbtorture tests against the various EXT4 shares, and
getting errors like:
- NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_COLLISION
- NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION
- Others that represent different forms of access collisions.

CTDB is handling locking and other aspects shared access, so the collisions
are probably occurring at the database level rather than the filesystem
level.  Further precautions taken:
- The share names differ from node to node; no duplicates.
- The underlying pathnames also differ.  They're in the form:
  /path/to/nodename/share

Of course, when clustering is disabled (clustering=no) the errors are no
longer produced.  Again, indication that the collisions are occurring at the
DB layer.

Known issue?

Chris -)-----