Whitespace and bullying

Swen Schillig swen at vnet.ibm.com
Mon Apr 9 09:09:36 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-04-09 at 09:56 +1000, ronnie sahlberg via samba-technical
wrote:
> Not sure I understand why this topic is so controversial and needs so
> much discussion.
>
> I think all can agree that it is a waste of time for a human to look
> for basic codestyle errors
> such as whitespace and friends.
>
> Lots of projects have checkpatch scripts or similar that do these
I totally agree. That's why I mentioned that in an earlier post
...didn't get much of a reaction though.

> checks automatically and policy that all contributors
> are supposed to "don't post the patch until checkpatch runs cleanly".
> It works well for those projects. I am certain
> it would work well for samba too.
I guess it just needs a spec-file for checkpatch and everybody can
verify their patches without much effort.

> I just don't see the problem or controversy.
Right, if there are rules then they should apply to everyone and not be
enforced on some or by some.
..and if it's that easy to comply (with checkpatch or alikes) then we
shouldn't spend too much time discussing whether it should be enforced
or not.

I agree with Martin, that it is "irritating" for the ones who have
setup their editor to show those "violations".

...and I can understand Volker as well who is probably seeing those for
ages and wondering why he should make a big effort while others don't.

If there is an objective check about whether a patch is formally good
or not, then there's very little argument why it should be different.

Cheers Swen