Whitespace and bullying

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Sun Apr 8 22:22:43 UTC 2018

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 09:13:01 +1200, Douglas Bagnall
<douglas.bagnall at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> On 07/04/18 20:59, Martin Schwenke via samba-technical wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 18:32:02 +1000, ronnie sahlberg
> > <ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> We are talking about this expression for a git hook, right?  "^\+.*[ \t]$"
>
> (actually the first 5 characters are redundant).
>
> > No, we only want to do this for C files... possibly others.  Tests
> > might need to match spaces at the end of lines in program output, so if
> > a shell script is a test then you don't want to enable this check for it.
>
> I think this might work:
>
> git diff-index --check --cached HEAD -- :/*.[ch]
>
> it cares only about *new* whitespace errors in C files, and it prints a little
> colourised diff thing to show what it disliked.

OK, easier than I thought.  Always nice when we don't have to write our
own code.  ;-)

My suggestion would be that people use it in a pre-push hook to start
with.  I already have a pre-push hook that checks for a Reviewed-by:
tag in every commit (happy to share again).  Adding more checks is easy.

peace & happiness,
martin