Whitespace and bullying

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Sat Apr 7 08:59:37 UTC 2018

On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 18:32:02 +1000, ronnie sahlberg
<ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are talking about this expression for a git hook, right?  "^\+.*[ \t]$"

No, we only want to do this for C files... possibly others.  Tests
might need to match spaces at the end of lines in program output, so if
a shell script is a test then you don't want to enable this check for it.

So, now you need a state machine that walks the patch and
enables/disables the check according to what sort of file it thinks it
is looking at.  It is obviously possible to get this right, but it will
be annoying when it is wrong.

If our test suite had no flakey tests then my confidence would be
higher...  ;-)

peace & happiness,
martin