VFS Support/Viability in the SAMBA Roadmap

Dutton, Matthew Matthew.Dutton at gtri.gatech.edu
Tue Sep 12 18:17:14 UTC 2017

I’m interested in developing a VFS module for exposing a partially database-backed filesystem, similar to the DatabaseFS VFS module.

Before I invest significant effort into this, I’d like to know whether the current VFS architecture is considered “supported” and isn’t on the roadmap to be deprecated. I see fairly recent development based on VFS (e.g. for GlusterFS) and some bugs being resolved, but I did not get a definitive answer from what I could find on the roadmap.

Are there any plans to substantially change or deprecate the current VFS framework?  Is there a roadmap addressing this that I should RTFM?

​​​​​

Thanks,

--

Matt Dutton